The price includes instructor driver and fuel
Daily trip 300 km
Sevanavank (Sevan Monastery) is a monastic complex located on a peninsula at the northwestern shore of Lake Sevan in the Gegharkunik Province of Armenia, not far from the town of Sevan. Initially the monastery was built at the southern shore of a small island. After the artificial draining of Lake Sevan, which started in the era of Joseph Stalin, the water level fell about 20 metres, and the island transformed into a peninsula. At the southern shore of this newly created peninsula, a guesthouse of the Armenian Writers’ Union was built. The eastern shore is occupied by the Armenian president’s summer residence, while the monastery’s still active seminary moved to newly constructed buildings at the northern shore of the peninsula.
St. Astvatsatsin Church in Haghartsin
St. Astvatsatsin Church in Haghartsin (1281) is the largest building and the dominant artistic feature. The sixteen-faced dome is decorated with arches, the bases of whose columns are connected by triangular ledges and spheres, with a band around the drum’s bottom. This adds to the optical height of the dome and creates the impression that its drum is weightless. The platband of the southern portal’s architrave is framed with rows of
trefoils.The sculptural group of the church’s eastern facade differs in composition from the similar bas-reliefs of Sanahin, Haghpat, and Harich. It shows two men in monks’ attire who point with their hands at a church model and a picture of a dove with half-spread wings placed between them. The umbrella roofing of the model’s dome shows the original look of the dome of Astvatsatsin church. The figures are shown wearing different dresses — the one standing right is dressed more richly than the one standing left. The faces, with their long whiskers, luxuriant combed beards and large almond shaped eyes, are also executed in different manners. These are probably the founders of the church, the Father Superior and his assistant.
Gosh– is a village located in the Tavush Province of Armenia. It is named after Mkhitar Gosh who took part in the re-building of the older monastery of Nor Ghetik during the 12th-13th centuries, which had been destroyed by an earthquake in 1188. The newly built monastery was later named Goshavank in honor of Mkhitar. Goshavank is located just off the main highway that runs through town. On a hillside west of the monastery complex sits a chapel that also serves as the tomb of Mkhitar Gosh. It was situated to overlook the monastery in which he helped build. The chapel is square in plan with a single centrally located dome above and one portal. Nearby are the ruins of what are said to be Mkhitar’s house. Stone foundations and low walls still exist.
- 08:00 -08:30
- 08:30 – 09:00
- 09:00 – 10:30
- Meeting at the hotel.
- Briefing, acquaintance with the road
- Coffee break (in Sevan)
- 11: 00-13: 30
- 13: 30-14: 30
- 14: 30-16:30
- 17:00-18: 30
- 09:00 – 10:30
- Movement in the following directions: Sevan-Dilijan-Haghartsin-Lake Gosh
- Picnic on the shore of Lake Gosh
- Next direction: Gosh – Sevanavank
- Return to Yerevan
- 09:00 – 10:30